A summary of the debate on Air Transport Agreement between the EC and the USA is available.
EP TRAN Committee – 9 November 2017
Air Transport Agreement between the EC and the US (9 November 2017)
View related documents and the next stage in the Policy Pipeline
Jens Nilsson (S&D, SE):
- he urged the committee to support Theresa Griffin (S&D, UK)’s draft recommendation;
- he stressed that there had been an agreement on air transport since 2007 and there were formal arrangements under the Lisbon Treaty.
Wim van de Camp (EPP, NL)
- he agreed with the Jens Nilsson‘s request to support Mrs Griffin’s draft recommendation;
- he stressed that air traffic between the US and the EC used to account for 61% of global traffic in 2000, whereas in 2015 it only accounted for 38%. In his view, that was a consequence of some restrictions introduced by the US, but the Congress had pushed forward a public consultation on the matter;
- his question to the Commission concerned the laptop ban.
The Commission did not have any further comments.
TRAN Chair, Karima Delli (Greens/EFA) ended the meeting announcing that the deadline for tabling amendments was 21 November at 2pm.
Source: One Policy Place