As critical government services such as health care move online, it is essential to ensure your personal data is protected and easily managed. EU-funded researchers have come up with a novel solution that allows you to share and protect your personal details in a virtual wallet on the cloud – good for privacy and security.
Earlier this month, the MedTech sector released a call to action towards digital health interoperability, endorsing the European Commission‘s Electronic Health Record Exchange Format released on 6 February 2019.
Originally associated with cryptocurrencies, blockchain and distributed ledger technology (DLT) are in fact very versatile and can be usefully applied to the social economy. However, it is important to regulate them properly and gear them to benefits for all, allowing everyone to participate, says the EESC in a report tabled at its July plenary.
The “fifth generation” of telecommunication systems will be a critical building block of our digital economy and society in the next decade. Mobile traffic doubles every two years and new applications are emerging. This factsheet explains how 5G will provide the capacities and performance to meet these connectivity needs.
The total budget of the work plan for 2019 will be €190 million (50% provided by the EU, and 50% by the participating countries). This sum will fund the calls now launched by EuroHPC, which will support research and innovation activities by European research stakeholders in the following areas:
- Extreme scale computing and data driven technologies – deadline 14 January 2020;
- HPC and data-centric environments and application platforms – deadline 14 January 2020;
- Industrial software codes for extreme scale computing environments and applications – deadline 14 January 2020;
- HPC Competence Centres – deadline 14 November 2019;
- Stimulating the innovation potential of SMEs – 14 November 2019.
The consultation focuses on Horizon Europe’s second pillar: ‘Global Challenges and European Industrial Competitiveness’, and its six thematic clusters:
- Cluster 1, Health
- Cluster 2, Culture, Creativity and Inclusive Society
- Cluster 3, Civil security for Society
- Cluster 4, Digital, Industry and Space
- Cluster 5, Climate, Energy and Mobility
- Cluster 6, Food, Bioeconomy, Natural Resources, Agriculture and Environment
Deadline: 8 September 2019.
EDPB-EDPS Joint Opinion 1/2019 on the processing of patients’ data and the role of the European Commission within the eHealth Digital Service infrastructure (eHDSI).
By Wojciech Wiewiórowski, Assistant Supervisor at the EDPS.